Tuesday, August 16

Shalom from Philadelphia

















by Esther Fox

I’m sure that a lot of you can agree that, when you’re about to go on vacation, the last thing that’s on your mind is keeping up with the healthy lifestyle you’ve been living for the last few months. Right? Why go to the gym? The hotel you’re staying at likely won’t have a fitness center quite like the JCC. The pool won’t be anything like the aquatic center. Your trainer will still be at home. Eat what you want and don’t tell anyone!

NO! STOP! WAIT!

You CAN be healthy on vacation! You can eat all that delicious food in MODERATION. You may be able to get away with stuffing your face when no one is looking, but at the end of the day, the only one who will know about it is YOU. And believe me, I know how to guilt myself after eating a meal of some less-than-savory foods. No one else may know about it, but I do. The self-induced guilt trip is not a nice feeling.

So I am in Philadelphia, PA for a week. I’m faced with such wonderful food options here like hoagies (they aren’t subs!) and authentic cheesesteaks (Pat’s anyone?). While I may not be back home in Indiana to go to the JCC every morning, I can do what I can to ensure that I am enjoying my vacation in a somewhat healthy way.

I keep repeating these words in my mind: eat less, move more. If you can’t get to a gym, stay active to burn those calories! If you can’t get to water aerobics, go to the hotel pool and do some of the exercises you do in class! Eat that cheesesteak, log those calories, and remember that you’re human. Enjoy your vacation and stop worrying.

The JCC will be here when you get back.

More About Esther Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment